14.3.10

ICON: Quentin Tarantino

To many, Quentin Tarantino seems to be an over-the-top eccentric film director who glamorizes violence on screen. To me, he is a genius.
But this wasn't always the case.
The first time I have ever heard of the name Quentin Tarantino was when Pulp Fiction resurrected John Travolta's dying career. I was 11 years old. I was completely unaware of the buzz surrounding the film, its filmmaker and how it'll place in modern pop culture. All I knew was that Danny Zuko is back, can I have another Look Who's Talking movie please?
Despite the success of Pulp Fiction, I was never motivated to watch any of Quentin's films. As much I love watching movies, my priority was to watch all the chick flicks and teeny-bopper movies produced during the 90's. Reservoir Dogs or Jackie Brown doesn't really fit the bill. But, a few months ago, while discovering my love for Quentin's brain and artistry, I learned I've watched a movie he wrote way before he became mainstream famous for Pulp Fiction. It was True Romance.
I was really too young to remember the story but I knew the reason I watched it was because Christian Slater was THE it-guy and my two elder sisters had a crush on him. Brad Pitt was yet to become famous.



As a pop culture geek, I have been cognizant of Quentin's fame and works but never really gotten around to knowing his art until Kill Bill. What got my attention was the fact that he was inspired by anime to do the Kill Bill movies.
When I was in college, taking a fine arts course, I went gaga over anime. I've always believed that anime are great references for beautiful cinematography and design. Then I read (or watched, I can't remember anymore) in an interview that Quentin secluded himself and watch anime over and over - and the result was this kick-ass Bride and her revenge adventure movie.
I understood him. I understood his creative process. I, now, know why he takes a long time to direct a new film. He takes his time and let grand inspirations come to him.


I couldn't wait for his next project after Kill Bill. And, yes, I was excited for Grindhouse. And I watched Death Proof. (No comments here)

Last year, one of the movies I was so excited to watch was Inglourious Basterds. The trailer and Brad Pitt's accent had me. I knew it was going to be (for the lack of better word) awesome. My intuition was right when I learned Basterds was accepted quite well during the Cannes Film Festival. I was giddy with excitement.


Inglourious Basterds was not the perfect movie. Some people are saying that it's too talky, less of the Basterds and historically inaccurate. I say, the dialogues created tension, we've got superb performances from Melanie Laurent and Christoph Waltz, and the movie's got balls!

I was inspired. I was inspired by the man who had the balls to change history through his movie. He didn't give a damn what historians or critics will say. He wanted to tell a story that's gutsy and insane at the same time. He wanted to tell a story his own way.


He's not just an auteur. He is a master storyteller. He's a genius.

Quentin Tarantino taught me to be successful and respected, you have to take risks. You have to believe in yourself. You have to steadfastly stand by your work regardless of your detractors. You have to be brave in pursuing your passion. You need to have balls.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Free your mind... appropriately. Thank you.